If you are on the Dukan diet there is a strong likelihood that you start the day with a Dukan Pancake. The oat-bran s great for you and fills you and the egg gives you a protein punch that gives sustained energy through the morning. Even those not on the Dukan diet can benefit from one of these pancakes. Oat bran both has the ability to make us feel full and other health benefits.
The egg and quark in the pancake provide protein which provides long lasting energy to the body.
The combination of fullness from the oats and long lasting energy from the proteins are perfect mix for any dieter. Refer to Piere Dukan’s book or one of the regional Dukan websites, for more information on how to use the pancakes in you diet, eg how many to eat at what phase.
Here is one of my two favourite variations on the basic Dukan pancake. One is savoury and the yellow colour always makes me feel warm and happy. The other is inspired by all the gingerbread and spiced goods in the shops now as Christmas approaches.
Turmeric Dukan Pancake
This is a lightly spiced pancake. Turmeric gives this pancake a bright warming look, making it great for a grey day.
2 Tablespoons quark
2 Tablespoons oat bran
1 egg ( or two egg whites)
1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon oregano ( or marjoram)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a heavy bottomed non-stick frying pan over a moderate heat.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the heated pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until you can get under the pancake to flip it.
- Flip the pancakes and turn off the heat. Let the residual heat in the pan do the cooking. Let cook for about one minute in the pan or until it looks as you wish. I like it just starting to brown in places.
- Eat hot or cold, by itself or with a spoonful of quark, yoghurt or Dukan friendly sauce of your choice.
- You can make one big pancake, or several smaller ones. Smaller ones cook a little faster and are a lot easier to flip.
- You can make up a bulk quantity and keep wrapped in foil in the fridge as with any Dukan pancake.
- If you pan sticks a little, pour a small amount of oil into the pan before heating the pan and wipe it with a paper towel. This will make sure the small amount is spread over the entire surface and the towel will absorb some of the oil. Remember there is a 1 teaspoon limit on oil a day.
Also as a side note, an egg white mask has a reputation of being good for your skin. When you make a pancake there is always a little white left inside the shell. You can rub the inside of the shell with clean fingers and get a fair amount of egg white out. This white you can then apply as a mask . Rinse the mask off in the shower after breakfast when it will have dried.