Now the festive season is past Turkeys are going cheap so I grabbed us one. I roasted it up sans stuffing and used the giblets to make a pate.
The roast was for two of us and so you know I had lots of left over turkey, yum. I sliced upthe rest and baged it in several bags and froze a third of it. It was as simple roast. I put a lemon inside the turkey along with some herbs splashed the skin with lemon juice and then sprinkled with salt and pepper. Then I put the turkey inside the oven bag, added a quartered onion and some celery inside an oven bag.
Now I also had some great turkey stock in the oven bag, after I spooned off the fat, I froze it down to use later in a baked rice dish for my husband.
The giblets I boiled in a pot, ground up with my blender added some egg and seasoning and the cooked onion, herbs and celery from inside the roasting bag. Then baked in the oven to make pate. Too much pate for me alone to eat so I cut it into thumb width slices and wrapped the slices in cling film so I could freeze them too and bring out when I wanted.
Now if only I had made soup of the bones I would have used everything on that bird. But I think roasting in the bag steams the meat (hence keeps it moist) and so a lot of that goodness from the bones is in the stock. Not that I have proved this scientificaly it’s just what it seems to me.
I love turkey after the holidays, such good value and such a great low fat meat.
A Scandanavian inspired pate from turkey giblets.
1 turkey liver
2 turkey kidneys
1 turkey neck
1 onion, cooked
2 stalks celery, cooked
1/4 red pepper, cooked
1 bunch thyme, cooked
Large pinch of salt
1 Teaspoon cracked pepper, or more to taste
- Remove giblets from inside the turkey and wash.
- Cook the giblets in a little water, in a covered pan with vegetables.
- Pick meat from neck and blend meat, liver, kidneys and vegetables in a blender.
- Mix in the two eggs salt and any herbs you wish to add.
- Pour into a small loaf tin, or use foil to partition a large loaf tin.
- Pour in the mixture and sprinkle with cracked pepper.
- Bake in a moderate oven (170 C / 340 F) for 40 minutes or until the mixture firms.
- Cool before using.
- This can be divided up and frozen into portions.